Sunday, September 6, 2009

Soccer Journey

In the middle of August, I saw on the W-League website that the W-League Combine was being held in Tampa, FL at the end of September. For a few days then, I was obsessively checking the WPSL site for the announcement of our combine, but wasn't finding anything.

Out of curiosity, and for the slimmest of chances, I emailed the owner of the Hampton Roads Piranhas--who I was a member of for the first month of the season at the beginning of the summer. I asked her if, since I was with the team for a few weeks, I could sign up for the W-League Combine. She said to emai the person in charge.

So, I sent an email to the person in charge of the W-League Combine and told her about my ordeal and questioned whether I could sign up or if it was a far shot. She immediately replied that the tryout combine was now accepting requests from any players, and that I should register online. I registered immediately!! Went online and filled out a questionnaire, which included my GKing awards from high school, college and my WPSL team, Lancaster Inferno. With my postseason honors this past summer, I figured it might up my chances!

WITHIN 24 HOURS, I received an email saying that I had been accepted to the combine!! I was ecstatic!!!!!! I called Katie Lamm up and told her about it and that she should register as well. Long story short, she also applied and was accepted!! So we are both going down to Tampa, FL together!!!!!

There will be about 90 players there, and all the WPS coaches will be in attendance. Teams are from Los Angeles (CA), Bay Area (CA), St. Louis (MO), Chicago (IL), NY/NJ, Washington (DC), and Boston (MA). The two expansion teams joining next March are Atlanta (GA) and Philly (PA).

I am beyond excited and so thankful for this opportunity!!! I am training 6/7 days a week on top of coaching and finding a substituting job around here. Training is going well, and for one of the first times in my soccer career, I can really tell that it's paying off! I feel stronger and my feet are getting quicker everyday!

Will keep you updated as I continue to train! Will most definitely try to keep you updated while I'm in FL from Sept. 24-27 as well!!! Woooohooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment