Monday, December 15, 2008

background in soccer

Katie (Lamm) and I have always been intense players, with aspirations and dreams of playing professional soccer. Once bitter enemies in high school--her at ELCO; me at LMH--we are now the bestest of friends! She came to visit EMU my sophomore year, and I'd like to just say that I pretty much got her here : ) But really, she came, and we hit it off right away. Our no-mess, highly-intense, give-all-or-get-off-the-field mentalities drew us together very quickly, and we've never looked back.

Soon, we found out that we were somewhat-great workout buddies as well. She's extremely fast, so there was no way I was keeping up with her in sprints! But, with her being a forward/midfielder (F/M) and me being a goalkeeper (GK), workouts and training sessions were effectively efficient for both of us!! She worked on her shots and crosses while training me in GKing. We're like two peas in a pod!

Right about the time I graduated, I learned about the WPSL (Women's Premier Soccer League) that has about 51 teams across the US. Katie and I had always dreamed of going pro, so we thought we'd give it a try...

In the summer of 2008, we played for the newly-formed Lancaster Inferno of the East-Mid-Atlantic Division. Our team was incredible! We were basically formed from the All-Stars from the LL-League, and played like we had been playing together for years! It was amazing, and so exciting to be a part of! We finished second in our division, and traveled up to Connecticut to play Tony DiCicco's SoccerPlus Connecticut Reds. They were organized, but didn't pressure as well or as much as I was expecting. We lost 1-2, but it was an experience we will never forget! Katie and I got a picture with and an autograph from Tony before we left. Wow!!!

Check out the following websites:
Lancaster Inferno (unfortunately, not up-to-date): www.lancasterinferno.com
Women's Premier Soccer League (WPSL): www.wpsl.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment